Monday, February 7, 2011

THE BRAYER ROOM, a new Houston gallery and performance art piece

YES! More people in Houston are making their good ideas into reality.

The Brayer Room (click here to see their site!)is a moving gallery. Each show is in a new spot. I have been dying to see stuff like this happen in Houston ever since I heard that Paul Horn once held a show at Al's Quick Stop (that place next to Rudz with the amazing gyros.).

The next Brayer Room show is scheduled for this Friday, February 12th from 7:30 to 10:30 at 214 Fairview.


Since owner/director Esther Gustein described the moving gallery as a performance art piece, I quickly asked her if she would share some things for the blog!

How does Houston effect your art?
Houston has effected my art in the spaces that it provides for a platform for hosting my shows. The whole of the city is very unique, with no absolute "artist" district.

Who are your performance art heroes?
Yves Klein, Jackson Pollock, Marcel Duchamp, to name a few.

Will you ever include performance art in your shows or have you already?
My are shows are performance art shows. The space I have will always host as a studio well before the actual show takes place, creating an artistic energy in a dormant space. I guess that the kind of performance that I hope to achieve is not one for the audience, but for the artists and the community. Showing how they can mutually benefit each other. The artists in that they can create anywhere, and for the community that any space can be a space for discovery and expression.

Thanks for making something new happen in our town, Esther!! Can't wait to see where The Brayer Room pops up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment